The Original Superior School building is a raised three level
brick building constructed in 1915 and 1916 by a local builder,
Charles Augustine. This
was the first substantial public building constructed in the
small mining/lumber town of
Superior , Montana .
At the time it was built, the school signified confidence
in the permanence of the community, preceding the construction
of the County Courthouse nearby.
It served the community’s elementary and secondary school
students from 1916 until 1995, when it was vacated in favor of a
retains a high level of architectural integrity, displaying one
of the few examples of the Colonial Revival style of
architecture in the State.
Architectural detailing that defines the Colonial Revival
style includes the symmetrical fenestration of double hung sash
windows, a central entrance with transom and sidelights, shallow
moldings around the entrance that give it a simple frontal
appearance, a boxed roof wall junction with little overhang,
dormers and masonry walls.
The round-arched, multi-light windows in the second stage
of the central pavilion are revived from the
Adams style, popular in the Eastern States
during the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries.
The building is an excellent
example of school building architecture.
Its strong presence in the community expresses its
importance to the educational development of Mineral County and reflects eighty years of
service to the County and its children.
As such, the building qualified for consideration of
placement on the National Register of Historic Places.
In April, 1996, Liz Gupton of the
U.S. Forest Service in Superior and Kim Morrison of the State of Montana Historic Preservation Office
applied to have the school placed on The National Historic Registry.
The building was so listed on March 21, 1997 by the
United States Department of Interior, National Park Service.
The building has been vacant for
most of the time since 1995, with some repairs including a new
roof between 1998 and 2006.